Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Our Little Soccer Star

We decided to sign Kendyl up for soccer this year after much pestering on her behalf. We figured it was GREAT exercise if nothing else. Unfortunately my memories of soccer are all tied to being forced to go watch my brother back when I was young and selfish. I thought the games were boring beyond belief, so much so that in my boredom I made friends with a groundhog and ended up needing rabies shots, but that's a story for another day!

Sports are so much different in the new PC world we live in where we do everything in our power to protect our children's self esteem. There is no goalie, we don't keep score, we play in groups of 6 (3 on 3), and we only use half of a field. When learning all of this, I assumed these games would also be boring, but that's totally not the case.

I LOVE soccer--Maybe I've secretly been dying to be a soccer mom, or maybe because it's my kid and she's having so much fun...it's hard to pinpoint the why, but surprisingly soccer really is fun! I love watching Kendyl get excited when she scores a goal, I love watching her get excited for her teammates, and I especially love watching her get all geeked up when people come to the games to cheer for her.

Here are some pictures from the season so far. I always pictured myself toting my girls to gymnastics and dance, but maybe I'm a secret sports fanatic--that sure would make Rob happy!

Soccer Sweetie


High five for our little jock


Fighting for the ball

Kendyl's favorite fan

1 comments:

caroline said...

Oh yay! I was worried what you were thinking about soccer b/c you weren't really talking about it anymore! Not to mention, our last conversation you said K didn't like it very much (beginning of season). SOOO excited you've joined us in the soccer world. I told you it's fun!!! You should know better than to doubt me! ;)