The much dreaded vaccination day FINALLY arrived. We were supposed to go on Wednesday but cancelled the appointment b/c of all the massive snow. I've been preparing Kendyl for a week or two now and she's been acting like it was no big deal and promising to be brave, but all moms know how that can go so I was still a little worried!
We took some pics beside the snow before heading out because I wanted to capture a happy BEFORE face! My kids have still not played in the snow so these pics will be my memory of the fact that we did have massive snowfall at least once this winter;-)
We got to the office and Kendyl still seemed okay. We tried to get the doc a urine sample with no luck and then got called back to the exam room. She passed all her tests with flying colors (eyes, scoliosis, blood pressure), but is now in the the 25th percentile for weight. I was a tiny kid growing up and it looks like she'll be following in my footsteps. The doc did not seem concerned. However, at the rate we're going she might not hit the 40lbs required to switch to a booster seat before kindergarten!!
Then out came the needles. He mixed and loaded ALL 4 shots right in front of us. Kendyl was still unphased and just chatting away with him all the while Lauryl kept repeating "sissy has to get FOUR shots". Dr. Kern informed Kendyl that all his patients get prizes for doing 5yr shots. She got a free kids meal at Applebees and a crisp one dollar bill. How's that for bribery;-) He then showed Kendyl his shot blocker and told her she needed to count to 5 as he gave each shot because she was 5.
First shot she counted to 5 in English, never flinched. Second shot they counted in Spanish, still no reaction. Third shot he led counting in French cause mommy doesn't know French. Still nada, sitting happy as a clam on my lap. Fourth shot they went back to English but she only made it to three before she let out a whelp and a few tears escaped her eyes. Apparently that last one is a doozey and burns like crazy. She recovered quickly, doled out a high 5 and went to the front desk to claim her stickers...IMPRESSIVE. I was really proud of her. I screamed my head off at every shot I ever got and still came close to passing out when receiving vaccinations at Battelle. Her courage with needles is NOT something she got from me!
As promised we went straight to Graeters for a celebratory ice cream sundae. Yay! No more shots til she's 11!!! The ice cream was sooooo worth it!
4 comments:
I am SO impressed with her bravery! And to be honest, after Madison's reaction, i was somewhat terrified for you!
Go Kendyl!!
I was beyond terrified! I really thought it was gonna be a nightmare!
What a brave girl! She's waaaaaayyy better than me. I am terrified of needles. Except for the epidural, which I begged for, but didn't look at. :) I'm such a baby!
Holy cow, that was some serious bravery! Good for her, that's terrific. I'm glad they're over for her though.
Post a Comment