Looking back to September, I remember how conflicted I was about sending Lauryl to a daycare after always being in homecare either with a friend or with our nanny. I was worried that she'd have trouble adjusting and be overwhelmed by the chaos. I thought there was little chance she would nap, I expected huge breakdowns at dropoff, and I worried she'd miss the more individualized attention.
While I was feeling a little apprehensive, I was also excited to get her into social situations with other kids her age. I was delighted at the idea of a formal learning environment with structure. A place where her play would be guided by the purpose of gaining specific knowledge.
Lauryl has made great strides this year. She was successfully potty trainined over the course of the year, despite some initial issues with refusing to have BMs on the potty. She learned to recognize all of her letters and her numbers up to ten. She knows all of her colors and shapes. She can organize objects by size and weight. She has a basic comprehension of patterns, and has mastered using correct pronouns when speaking. She learned to recognize her name and eventually to write it. She made innumerable crafts and had fun expressing her creativity and has always been so excited and proud to show us her handiwork at pickup.
This was what her teachers had to say about her in their comments:
Lauryl is a quiet, kind, and sweet little girl. She has easily adjusted to the daily routines of the Monkey room. When Lauryl first started in our room (after Christmas), she was very hesitant to join her peers in play, often choosing an observer's role. As her comfort level has increased, we are pleased to report that we observe Lauryl interacting more with her friends. She is beginning to form several friendships. Lauryl's interactions are always positive, productive, and cooperative. Lauryl maintains great self-control at our circle time activities, such as calendar, stories, games, and class discussions. She is an attentive listener. Lauryl's participation is generally limited to when called upon by a teacher to respond. We want to encourage and support Lauryl in gaining confidence in volunteering and sharing her thoughts and ideas with the group. It has been a pleasure working with Lauryl. Thank you for sharing your little girl with us! We look forward to watching her grow in all areas of her development.
I'm delighted with how this past year has gone for Lauryl. We enjoyed participating in gymnastics and soccer and numerous programs at the rec center (Red, yellow, blue fun for you/Games Games Games/Ooey Gooey Fun). It amazes me how much more ready and willing she is to begin participating in classes on her own then Kendyl ever was at this age (or even at her current age, if I'm being honest). She doesn't miss a beat and easily leaves me on the sidelines. I am looking forward to summer and hanging out and having fun with both of my girlies!
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Lauryl's End of Year Preschool Evaluation
Posted by Jen at 9:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
What very nice comments. Of course, Grandma already knew all of that. Gotta love my granddaughters!!!
Post a Comment