Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ice Skating

Today was the first day of ice skating lessons. A friend suggested we sign our girls up and when I mentioned it to Kendyl she was excited. It's not much that excites this girl of mine. I'm still trying to help her find an activity she really loves.

Gymnastics was always my thing, I knew I was a gymnast, I loved going to the gym and couldn't imagine NOT doing it. I liked other stuff and I really liked being busy. I want Kendyl to get involved in group activities and find self-confidence in having a skill she excels at and making good friends.

Kendyl is lukewarm about dance. She likes it, but is not the least bit phased if I mention not taking her because of a behavior issue. She did great at gymnastics, but wasn't at all upset when I told her we were taking the summer off and then expressed no interest in starting up again in the fall when I offered. Then there was ballet which she found to be boring and said I was the only mom in the world that would sign her up for a dance class where they didn't dance! Lastly, let's not forget soccer. She really liked the first season, flipped out season two and refused to play after the second practice, and then played this year without much complaint but also without much enthusiasm.

So, that brings us to skating. Today went really well. She was excited and all smiles this morning even though we had to get out the door as early as during the week. She fell ALOT, but never looked on the verge of tears or even frustrated for that matter. She even shared what she learned in an unforced conversation on the way home. We'll see how the next 7 weeks go. Hopefully she will continue to have fun.

The eager girls in their skates
Practicing getting back up, a VERY important skill for newbies
Getting started
Conquering the ice
My future ice skater???
Fun times. At least she can't say she never got to do anything as a child!

2 comments:

caroline said...

One of these pictures reminds me of a Caillou episode ;)

Jen said...

Haha, we talk about that episode alot to help us prepare for all the falling;-)