Sometimes the most fun part of being a mother is realizing the irony of it all...
Today after work was no different than any other day. After getting Kendyl from school I decided to run to the store before we picked up Lauryl, just to make the stop a little faster/easier. I gave in and let (ok, truth be told, I offered in order to stop the whining) Kendyl get a donut. We went up and down a few aisles in silence as she munched and I grabbed what we needed.
We get to the checkout aisle and I'm talking to the cashier/fishing out my rewards card/looking for my wallet and I see it out of the corner of my eye. It being my 6 year old daughter trying to slyly tuck a Reese Cup into her coat! I calmly tell her to put it back while giving her the "oh, you are so gonna pay" look that we all have.
I pay for my groceries and we walk out of the checkout aisle. I squat down to her level and calmly and quietly explain to her that what she was doing is stealing and that it is very bad and that if a cop caught her he could arrest her, or me! I tell her she will get in the car and she will be silent on the way to get Lauryl because in all I honesty I'm steaming mad.
As I'm pulling out of the lot, I reach down to grab my cell phone and I feel it, it being the piece of wax paper that Kendyl's donut was on. The piece of paper I had tucked in my pocket so I wouldn't forget to tell the cashier that I already fed my kid a donut and still needed to pay. The single reminder that works every time when I don't catch my kid trying to steal candy! OMG, after the lecture I JUST gave, I realize that I didn't pay for the donut. Did I admit that to Ms. Kendyl- heck no! I guarantee though that I'll be adding a donut to my next purchase because it will eat me alive until I do.
Adding to the irony is Kendyl's request to read her children's Bible as her bedtime story this evening. I read 4 sections and had already given the "this is the last one warning". For some reason I decided I'd go ahead and read one more because she was so enthralled. Go figure that the next part dealt with the 10 commandments and I got to drive home my 'Thou shalt not steal' lesson in a manner that was incredibly impactful to her and gave me one more chance to feel shame as a donut pilferer...
Monday, February 1, 2010
And the pot calls the kettle black...
Posted by Jen at 9:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
that's freaking hilarious. Should I let your daughter hang out with my daughter anymore??? ;)
I think it is okay unless you think this one lapse of morals means my daughter is destined for a life of crime with me as her handler;-)
Best.Story.Ever......
What a great story, Jen.
Jen,
What a great story! Don't beat yourself up about the "free" donut, you absolutely had the best of intentions!
xoxo!
Post a Comment